ahhh!! get it off me!!

So, I had another "incident" last night. Those of you who know me well know what I mean. For those of you who don't: no, I didn't pee the bed. I have a history of waking up and doing crazy things at night. The incidents usually result from some sort of dream. Its not really sleepwalking, because I am awake, but I guess I'm not fully awake.

The first incident I can remember happened when I was in high school. I thought there was an animal (some sort of bat/rodent) in my bed. I freaked out and ran out of my room screaming. I ran down the hall, through the kitchen and outside onto our deck. My parents woke up and came out to see what was going on. When I got outside, I came to my senses and felt pretty embarrased.

One time during college, I was sleeping in the guest room at my parents' house in Sugarcreek. During the night, my dad came in and found me frantically throwing books out of a box in the room. When he asked what I was doing, I replied "I gotta save them".

One time when I was living in Guatemala, I fell asleep with headphones on. During the night, I got tangled up in the chord and thought it was a snake. I yelled and ran out into the hall. When I looked back in the room and saw the headphones lying on the floor, I felt pretty dumb. Luckily, my host family didn't wake up. Latinos can sleep through most anything.

There have been many other events. Robin can tell you about them. She's pretty used to it by now. Even so, she wasn't prepared for last night. Again, I thought there was some kind of animal on me. I screamed and ran out of the room. Robin can describe the scream pretty well. She says it was unlike anything she's ever heard. I'm sure I woke the other fellow who lives in our duplex. After her initial shock, Robin realized what was going on and tried to calm me down. I heard her saying it was all right, but I didn't believe her. I could feel "it" on me. When I fully awoke, I realized what was going on. My hand was asleep and every time it bumped my leg, I could feel it, but I couldn't tell it was my own hand. It was freaky. It took awhile for us both to calm down and be able to sleep again. I was ready for the cops to come at some point because the neighbor had heard screams next door.

I also have a habit of getting up at odd hours of the night and eating apples, but I'll get into that some other time. For now, I have to get to bed . . . at least for awhile.